The aim of this research cluster is to develop and establish a research core in the area of nutrition and lifestyle approaches for treatment and prevention of chronic diseases.
Spanning public health, self-management, women's health and clinical management and prevention of a range of conditions, research will be in line with Public Health England priorities. This will include a special focus on 'at risk groups'.
Womens' health includes research into breast health aiming to target women through different life stages, puberty, pregnancy and illness (breast cancer) to broaden understanding of breast pain and ultimately help relieve the symptoms associated with this wide spread condition.
Other avenues of research include educational initiatives to improve knowledge to enable achievement of a healthy lifestyle, and also those to increase knowledge and awareness of breast health.
The aim, in the short term, is to build on the evidence base on measures to tackle chronic disease and improve quality of life. This will provide an understanding of barriers to adopting a healthy lifestyle that community groups face, preparing suitable education strategies for specific community groups, and the evaluation of educational and other strategies to tackle these barriers.
The impact of this research will be to improve the public health and well-being of at risk groups.
- Stubbs, R.J., Hillier. S.E., Pallister, C., Avery, A., McConnon, A. and Lavin, J. (2015) Changes in self-esteem in participants associated with weight-loss and maintenance of a commercial weight management programme. Obesity and Control Therapies: Open Access. 2 (1) pg. 1-5.
- Barber, J., Hillier, S.E., Middleton, G., Keegan, R., Henderson, H. and Lavin, J. (2015) Providing weight management via the workplace. International Journal of Workplace Health Management 8 (3)
- Korakianiti, A., Hillier, S. E. and Clegg, M. E. (2014) The impact of the cephalic phase on postprandial blood glucose and satiety. e-SPEN Journal 9 (6): e220-e222
- Hillier, S. E., Beck, L, Petropoulou, K. and Clegg, M. E. (2014) A comparison of body composition measurement techniques. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics 27(6): 626-31
- Hung, S. K., Hillier, S. and Ernst, E. (2011) Case reports of adverse effects of herbal medicinal products (HMPs): A quality assessment. Phytomedicine 18, 335-343.
- Ginn A, Eastwood G, Menger B, Majumdar, A (In press) Food security Focus: The development and validation of culturally appropriate Healthy Food Baskets in an inner-London borough. Health Education Journal
- Majumdar A, Adams, N, Wallymahmed, A, Mason L (Submitted) An exploration into the practice of Homeopathy for osteoarthritis management in the UK. Homeopathy
- Majumdar A, Ginn A, Eastwood G, Menger B, (Submitted) An exploration of food choice and shopping habits among those at risk of food insecurity Health Education Journal
- Majumdar A, Adams, N, Wallymahmed, A, Mason L (2011) A survey of acupuncture practice for osteoarthritis management in the UK Journalof Alternative Medicine Research 3 (1):103-114.
- Peerbhoy, D, Majumdar, A, Wightman, NA. et al (2008) Success and challenges of a community healthy lifestyles intervention in Merseyside (UK) to target families at risk from coronary heart disease. Health Education Journal 67 (2): 134-139.
- Scurr, J., Brown, N., Smith, J., Brasher, A., Risius, D., & Marczyk, A. (in press). The influence of the breast on sport and exercise participation in school girls in the UK. Journal of Adolescent Health.
- Brown, N. & Scurr, J. (2016). 'Breasts are getting bigger'. Where is the evidence? Journal of Anthropological Sciences, 94, DOI: 10.4436/jass.9402.
- Brown, N., Burnett, E., & Scurr, J. (2015). Is breast pain greater in active females compared to the general population in the UK? The Breast Journal. DOI: 10.1111/tbj.12547
- Scurr, J., Loveridge, A., Brown, N., & Mills C. (2015). Acute changes in clinical breast measurements following bra removal: Implications for surgical practice. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery Open, 3, 22-25.
- Scurr, J., Hedger, W., Morris, P., & Brown, N. (2014). The prevalence, severity and impact of breast pain in the general population. The Breast Journal, 20(5), 508-513.
- Brown, N. & Scurr, J. (2012). The need for standardised anthropometric protocol for objective pre- and post-operative breast surgery. Gland Surgery, 1(3), 142-145.
- Brown, N., White, J., Milligan, A., Risius, D., Ayres, B., Hedger, W. & Scurr, J. (2012). The relationship between breast size and anthropometric measures. American Journal of Human Biology, 24, 158-164.
- Knowles, A. M., Hill, J., Davies, H., Dancy, B., Mistry, N., Mellor, R., Howatson, G. (2012). Physiological and psychological health effects of Nordic walking on sedentary adults. Journal of Sport and Health Research 4, 1, p. 45-56. 12 p.
- Moreton, K., Joyce, L., Saunders, L., Prothero, A., Bequchamp, M., Spencer-Bowdage, S. Dancy, B., & Pedlar, C. (2014). The effectiveness of motivational interviewing for health related behaviour change in primary care settings: A Systematic Review. Health Psychology Review. 9, 2. 205-223