The Gender and Sexuality Research Cluster at St Mary’s University is a cross-disciplinary group of more than twenty scholars drawn from across all four academic schools.
The members share interests in topics in the field of gender and sexuality such as stigma, behaviours, identities and representations. Many of the members are internationally renowned researchers and we have three PhD student members.
Current projects include:
- The role of teen magazines in young women’s attitudes to their breasts
- How bisexual people retain their identities within romantic relationships
- Masculinity and sport
- The performance of gender
- Owen, C & Campbell, C. – How do men’s magazines talk about penises? (under review)
- Bruinvels, G., Burden, R., Brown, N., Richards, T., & Pedlar, C. (2016). The prevalence and impact of heavy menstrual bleeding (menorrhagia) on elite and non-elite athletes. PLOS One, DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0149881
- Scurr, J., Brown, N., Smith, J., Brasher, A., Risius, D., & Marczyk, A. (2016). The influence of the breast on sport and exercise participation in school girls in the UK. J Adolesc Health, 58(2), 167-173
- Bruinvels, G., Burden, R., Brown, N., Richards, T., & Pedlar, C. (2015). The prevalence and impact of heavy menstrual bleeding among athletes and mass start runners of the 2015 London Marathon. Br J Sports Med. DOI:10.1136/bjsports-2015-095505
- Morton, K.L., Atkin, A.J., Corder, K., Suhrcke, M. & van Sluijs, E.M.F. (2015). The school environment and adolescent physical activity and sedentary behaviour: a mixed-studies systematic review. Obes Rev, 17, 142–158
- Brown, N., Burnett, E., & Scurr, J. (2015). Is breast pain greater in active females compared to the general population in the UK? The Breast Journal. DOI: 10.1111/tbj.12547
- Scurr, J., Hedger, W., Morris, P., & Brown, N. (2014). The prevalence, severity and impact of breast pain in the general population. The Breast Journal, 20(5), 508-513
- Brown, N., White, J., Brasher, A. & Scurr, J. (2014). An investigation in to breast support and sports bra use in female runners of the 2012 London Marathon. J Sports Sci, 32(9), 801-809
- Brown, N., White, J., Brasher, A. & Scurr, J. (2014). The experience of mastalgia in female runners of the 2012 London Marathon and its effect on exercise behaviour. Br J Sports Med, 48, 320-325
- Pedlar, C.R., Whyte, G.P., Burden, R., Moore, B., Horgan, G., & Pollock, N. (2013). A case study of an iron-deficient female Olympic 1500-m runner. Int J Sports Physiol Perform, 8(6), 695-8
- Pollock, N., Pedlar, C., Morrissey, D., Perry, M., Grogan, C., & Dimitriou, L. (2010). Bone mineral density and other features of the female athlete triad in elite endurance runners. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab, 20, 418 – 426.