This advice has been produced by the Security Department to assist students prevent theft.
Security is a responsibility that everyone needs to share. Make sure you always do the following:
- If you are in a halls of residence ensure that you always lock your door, even if you are only going down the corridor. Never prop open an entrance door to your accommodation.
- Be aware of tailgating. If you feel that a person is tailgating you in order to access an area where you believe they should not be, challenge them - as long as you feel comfortable and safe to do so. Or contact the Security Services Department or the residential manager.
- When going out, always ensure that you close all windows, even if you are on a high floor.
- Before allowing entry to your room always ensure you are aware of who is at the door. If you are unsure ask what they want before opening the door. If you are still not sure ask them to come back and inform a friend, Security or residential manager of what has occurred.
- Never leave your personal items near a window in view, i.e. laptops, mobile phones, wallets or bags or any other valuable item that may attract a would-be burglar or opportunist.
- Never leave your valuables unattended in the kitchen.
- Never hang keys by the front door. This may attract an opportunist thief and allow them easy access to the property by means of a long rod to gain access to your keys.
If you are suspicious of characters within, or loitering around, your accommodation blocks, report them immediately to Security on extension 4335.
If you believe that your residence requires any Security updates or further Security measures then contact Security Services or your Residence Manager.
In the event of an emergency, telephone Security on 020 8240 4060.
For general security, information and queries, telephone 020 8240 4335 or to see more tips you can visit our personal safety page.