Skip to content Exit mobile menu

Your accommodation questions answered

Please find answers to frequently asked accommodation questions below. If your question is not answered please contact us on or 020 8240 4034.

Unfortunately there is no provision for overnight visitors in the University. Please read the Accommodaion Licence Agreement carefully. Please contact the Accommodation Service for a list of local hotels and Bed and Breakfasts.

Fire retardant duvets and pillows, which meet safety regulations, are provided within each bedroom. However, you must bring your own bed linen (duvet cover, pillowcases, sheets and towels). You will be responsible for laundering your bed linen and personal clothing.


Yes, but no refund will be given for meals not taken or time when you aren't present in halls.

Yes, there is a card operated launderette on campus primarily used by students in University managed accommodation. You can purchase this card in the launderette and will need to top it up online. There are also a number of launderettes and dry cleaners in the local area.

Insurance cover is provided under a block policy with Endsleigh and the cost is covered in the accommodation fees.

Please note that you may require additional cover for high value items regularly taken out of the room, such as laptops and mobile phones.  This can be arranged directly with Endsleigh on payment of an additional premium. All claims are handled direct by Endsleigh.

Yes, we provide bicycle racks on the campus. You are advised not to bring an expensive bicycle with you, as these are vulnerable to theft in London. You must make certain that it is covered by your insurance policy, as the University is not responsible for loss or damage to bicycles.

Yes, however, living in a University Hall is community living and you should consider your fellow residents at all times. Students are asked to enter/leave halls quietly and not to play music too loudly. The Hall should be quiet between 11pm and 8am. We also ask that you are considerate to our neighbours when leaving and returning to the campus, particularly late at night - St Mary's is in a residential area and excessive noise damages the reputation of students with neighbours.

Yes, for a serious or continuous breach of the licence agreement. You should read this carefully. If in doubt about any of the terms of the licence, please contact the Accommodation Service.

Any connection or suspected connection with the possession, use, buying or selling of drugs will result in the immediate termination of residence. The University will not condone any illegal practices and any such matters are reported to the Police.


Any student leaving St Mary's before the end of the academic year must notify Registry Services to complete the formal withdrawal process. You are also responsible for advising the Accommodation Service (Student Services Centre, Room J208) and the Fees Office (Room J15 – 1st floor of J building), so that your room can be re-let and accommodation charges calculated. An Early Termination Charge will also be charged.


Yes, and there is no need to be ashamed of this. Many students are living away from home for the first time and inevitably there is some reaction to this. Don’t be afraid to talk to someone – for example your Student Senior Resident, Resident Mentor, Student Life Team or Student Services.


There are several contacts:

  • The Student Senior Residents – these students are located in your accommodation specifically to help new students settle into life at St Mary’s and assist with any issues.
  • The Resident Mentor for your Hall – can deal with anything more serious or personal. He or she will either advise you or tell you exactly where to go for the help you need.
  • The Student Life Team – A team of Student Life Coordinators, with an in-depth knowledge of the support and wellbeing services available at the university, work full-time with extended office hours so that you will have access to support at times that suit you. You can visit them via
  • The Student Services Centre – the Student Services staff have close contact with all the support services and invites you to drop-in at any time to the Student Services Centre, 2nd floor J building. Appointments can be made if necessary.
  • The Student Counsellors – offer a confidential counselling service for anyone with troubling personal and/or emotional problems like homesickness. You can refer yourself to this service using the referral form found on our counselling page
  • The University Chaplaincy – The Chaplaincy Team is available to all students and staff for a friendly chat, discussions, advice on personal matters, a mug of tea or coffee or, when necessary, to give practical assistance in any emergency. The Chaplaincy team work closely with Student Services staff on a variety of issues.
  • The Accommodation Service/ Student Services - Tel: 020 8240 4034, Email: or find us in Room J208 (in the J Building - 2nd Floor) open 9am - 5pm on weekdays.

Please don’t be afraid to contact any of the above services for either a private or personal problem/concern.