Tel: 020 8240 2300
Yiannis is a Senior Lecturer and Programme Director of the MSc Nutrition and Genetics. He is also the Head of the Nutrition and Genetics Research Group, which he created in 2015.
Yiannis is a registered dietitian (HCPC) and registered Nutritionist (AfN). He completed an honours degree in Nutrition and Dietetics at the Robert Gordon University. He then did an MSc in Human Nutrition and Metabolism at the University of Aberdeen where he carried out research in DNA damage and nutrition.
He studied for his PhD at the Rowett Research Institute in the field of molecular nutrition where he investigated the effects of omega-3 fatty acids on cardiovascular disease through proteomics, genomics and metabolomics pathways. He did his postdoctoral research project at the University of Reading where he explored the sensorial quality and degradation of hospital food within the NHS.
Prior to coming to St Mary’s he was a lecturer at the London Metropolitan University, where he also completed a PGCert in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education. He is also a Fellow to the Higher Education Academy.
Yiannis has developed the pioneering MSc Nutrition and Genetics, (the only university course of its kind in the UK, only four in the world).
In his time at St Mary's Uiversity, Yiannis has developed and currently leads the Nutrition and Genetics Research Group. He supervises several MSc and PhD students and his main research interest is the interaction between genetics, nutrition and chronic diseases (e.g. cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and obesity).
- Angie Kapellou: Effects of caffeine and genotypes on cognitive performance. Ongoing.
- Viviane Anastacio: Environmental effects on phenotypic expression. Ongoing
- Ammi King: Effects of genotype on clinical outcomes and behaviour in relation to cardiovascular disease. Ongoing
- Ed Ryan-Moore: The use of genotyping in tailoring training regimes for young footballers (collaboration with Fulham FC). Ongoing
- Catherine Graham: (Gene/environment interactions in childhood and adult obesity). Completed 2019
- Leta Pilic (Genetic susceptibility to salt sensitivity and hypertension). Completed 2018
- Graham, C. A.-M., Pilic, L., King, A., Nixon, J. E., Pipe, J., Holton, J., Tamba, K., Hearne, G., Pedlar, C. R., Lorente-Cebrián, S., González Muniesa, P., & Mavrommatis, Y. (2021). Genetic differences in fat taste sensitivity and dietary intake in a UK female cohort. Food Quality and Preference, 104202. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodqual.2021.104202
- Glaister, M., Chopra, K., Pereira De Sena, A., Sternbach, C., Morina, L., & Mavrommatis, Y. (2020). Caffeine, exercise physiology, and time-trial performance: No effect of ADORA2A or CYP1A2 genotypes. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism = Physiologie Appliquee, Nutrition Et Metabolisme. https://doi.org/10.1139/apnm-2020-0551
- Graham, C. A. M., Pedlar, C. R., Hearne, G., Lorente-Cebrián, S., González-Muniesa, P., & Mavrommatis, Y. (2020). The Association of Parental Genetic, Lifestyle, and Social Determinants of Health with Offspring Overweight. Lifestyle Genomics, 13(2), 99–106. https://doi.org/10.1159/000505749
- Pilic, Leta, Lubasinski, N. J., Berk, M., Ward, D., Graham, C. A.-M., Da Silva Anastacio, V., King, A., & Mavrommatis, Y. (2020). The associations between genetics, salt taste perception and salt intake in young adults. Food Quality and Preference, 103954. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodqual.2020.103954
- Ryan-Moore, E., Mavrommatis, Y., & Waldron, M. (2020). Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Candidate Gene Association Studies With Fracture Risk in Physically Active Participants. Frontiers in Genetics, 11. https://doi.org/10.3389/fgene.2020.00551
- Pilic, L., & Mavrommatis, Y. (2018). Genetic predisposition to salt-sensitive normotension and its effects on salt taste perception and intake. The British Journal of Nutrition, 120(7), 721–731. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114518002027
- Pilic, L., Pedlar, C. R., & Mavrommatis, Y. (2016). Salt-sensitive hypertension: Mechanisms and effects of dietary and other lifestyle factors. Nutrition Reviews, 74(10), 645–658. https://doi.org/10.1093/nutrit/nuw028
- Tsikritzi, Roussa, Wang, J., Collins, V. J., Allen, V. J., Mavrommatis, Y., Moynihan, P. J., Gosney, M. A., Kennedy, O. B., & Methven, L. (2015). The Effect of Nutrient Fortification of Sauces on Product Stability, Sensory Properties, and Subsequent Liking by Older Adults. Journal of Food Science, 80(5), S1100–S1110. https://doi.org/10.1111/1750-3841.12850
- Mavrommatis, Y., Moynihan, P. J., Gosney, M. A., & Methven, L. (2011). Hospital catering systems and their impact on the sensorial profile of foods provided to older patients in the UK. Appetite, 57(1), 14–20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2011.03.010
- Mavrommatis, Y., Ross, K., Rucklidge, G., Reid, M., Duncan, G., Gordon, M.-J., Thies, F., Sneddon, A., & Roos, B. de. (2010). Intervention with fish oil, but not with docosahexaenoic acid, results in lower levels of hepatic soluble epoxide hydrolase with time in apoE knockout mice. British Journal of Nutrition, 103(1), 16–24. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114509991450
- Roos, B. de, Mavrommatis, Y., & Brouwer, I. A. (2009). Long-chain n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids: New insights into mechanisms relating to inflammation and coronary heart disease. British Journal of Pharmacology, 158(2), 413–428. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1476-5381.2009.00189.x
- Duthie, S. J., Mavrommatis, Y., Rucklidge, G., Reid, M., Duncan, G., Moyer, M. P., Pirie, L. P., & Bestwick, C. S. (2008). The Response of Human Colonocytes to Folate Deficiency in Vitro: Functional and Proteomic Analyses. Journal of Proteome Research. https://doi.org/10.1021/pr700751y
- Pilic, L., Graham, C. A.-M., Hares, N., Brown, M., Kean, J., Wehliye, Y., McGrigor, E., Sarel, V., Easton, I., Davis, N., Barac, D., King, A., Anastacio, V. D. S., & Mavrommatis, Y. (2020). Bitter Taste Sensitivity Is Determined by TAS2R38 Haplotype, Associated with Saturated Fat Intake and Is Lower in Overweight and Obese Compared to Normal Weight UK adults. Current Developments in Nutrition, 4(Supplement_2), 1271–1271. https://doi.org/10.1093/cdn/nzaa058_029
- Graham, C. a.-M., Pipe, J., Holton, J., Tamba, K., Lorente-Cebrián, S., González-Muniesa, P., & Mavrommatis, Y. (2019). Associations Between Genetic Predisposition, Fat Taste and Obesity. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, 78(OCE1). https://doi.org/10.1017/S0029665119000065
- Cogbill, S. J., Louca, P. K., Pilic, L., & Mavrommatis, Y. (2019). Does genotype-based dietary advice elicit a change in dietary intake? Focus on hypertension and salt intake. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, 78(OCE2). https://doi.org/10.1017/S0029665119000727
- Graham, C. a.-M., Pilic, L., & Mavrommatis, Y. (2017). The effects of genetic profiling on eating behaviour. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, 76(OCE4). https://doi.org/10.1017/S0029665117002841
- Pilic, L., & Mavrommatis, Y. (2016). Genetic predisposition to salt sensitivity and its effects on dietary salt taste perception and intake. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, 75(OCE3). https://doi.org/10.1017/S0029665116001075
- Dady, H. J., & Mavrommatis, Y. (2012). The effect of a stimulation drink on metabolic rate and haemodynamic parameters in comparison to a caffeinated placebo: A randomised, crossover, double blinded study. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, 71(OCE2). https://doi.org/10.1017/S0029665112001280
- Tsikritzi, R., Wang, J., Wong, M., Mavrommatis, Y., Moynihan, P. J., Gosney, M. A., & Methven, L. (2011). Development of sauces with high energy density, flavour and taste impact for older people, aiming to increase food acceptability and consumption. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, 70(OCE4). https://doi.org/10.1017/S0029665111002278
- Mavrommatis, Y., Methven, L., & Gosney, M. A. (2010). Effects of different hospital catering systems on sensorial degradation of foods provided to elderly patients in the UK. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, 69(OCE6). https://doi.org/10.1017/S0029665110003204
Recent invited presentations
- Age UK, November 2020. Invited presentation “How DNA and ageing can affect our food choice”.
- Institute of Nutrigenetics, September 2020. Invited webinar “Direct to consumer nutrigenetics testing : A scientific perspective”.
- Sport Scotland Institute of Sport, Sterling, February 2019. Invited talk “ Nutrition and Genetics in Sports”
- The Ideas Exchange - A series of quick-fire lectures from a range of top academics, December 2018. “Genetics and Nutrition”
- Department of Health, December 2018. Invited to provide an “Overview of nutrition and genetics in the UK”.
- European Summit of Personalised Nutrition, London, December 2018. Invited Speaker “Nature vs Nurture: To what extent does DNA and lifestyle impact health?”
- Association for Nutrition Annual Discourse, December 2017. Represented the Science sector of the Association. Presentation title: “The development of –omics and personalised nutrition”.
- NutrEvent June 2017, Lille, International Conference. Presentation title: Genetics and Personalised Nutrition.
- Nutrition Society Conference July 2017, Cellular and Molecular Theme Highlight. Presentation title: The effects of genetic profiling on eating behaviour.
For media enquiries, please contact our Press Office Team by emailling firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 020 8240 8262.