Dr Conor Gissane
Academic Director for Research
Conor completed his PhD in 2003 at Brunel University in the area of epidemiological investigation into rugby league injury. During his time in academia he has worked at Brunel University, along with several visiting positions at Nottingham University, University College Dublin and the University of East London.
His main area of research interest is injury in sport, and more recently the incidence of concussion. This initially began in rugby league, but has since been extended to several other sports. Conor is also interested in statistics and statistics education and research design. The combination of these areas has led to an interest into the design of studies to investigate sport rehabilitation practices.
Conor has research collaborations with Liverpool John Moores University, Trinity College Dublin, University College Dublin, Irish Rugby Football Union, the Rugby Football League, Auckland University of Technology, the University of North Carolina.
Conor has several peer reviewed research publications, and has acted for a reviewer for ten peer reviewed journals. In addition he is a member of two editorial boards. He has an ongoing series of articles about statistics in the journal Physiotherapy Practice and Research.
- Wilson F, Gissane C, McGregor A. Ergometer training volume and previous injury predict back pain in rowing; strategies for injury prevention and rehabilitation. Br J Sports Med 2014; 48:1534-7.
- Gissane C. Calculating P values and 95% confidence intervals from data presented. Physiotherapy Practice and Research 2014; 35:133-6.
- Blake C, O’Malley E, Gissane C, Murphy J. Epidemiology of injuries in hurling: a prospective study 2007-11. . BMJ Open 2014;4:e005059.
- O’Dwyer T, Rafferty T, O’Shea F, Gissane C, Wilson F. Physical activity guidelines: is the message getting through to adults with rheumatic conditions? Rheumatology 2014; 53(10):1812-7.
- King D, Gissane C, Clark T, Marshall SW. The incidence of match and training injuries in rugby league: a pooled data analysis of published studies. International Journal of Sports Science & Coaching 2014; 9: 417-31.
- Rajeswaran G, Turner M, Gissane C, Healy JC. MRI findings of the lumbar spines of asymptomatic elite junior tennis players. Skeletal Radiol; 2014; 43: 925-32.
- King D, Gissane C, Clarke T. Concussion in amateur rugby league players in New Zealand: a review of player concussion history. New Zealand Journal of Sports Medicine 2014.
- King D, Brughelli M, Hume PA, Gissane C. Assessment, management and knowledge of sport-related concussion: systematic review Sports Med 2014; 44:449-71.
- Gissane C. P values in standard form. Physiotherapy Practice and Research 2014; 35:65-6.
- Davies HR, Visser J, Tomlinson M, Rotheram-Borus MJ, Gissane C, Jessica Harwood J, Le Roux I. An investigation into utilising gestational body mass index as a screening tool for adverse birth outcomes and maternal morbidities in a group of pregnant women in Khayelitsha. South African Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2013; 26(3):116-22.
- Duncan L, Coole A, McCarthy E, Johnson C, Webb MJ, O’Shea, FD, Gissane C, Wilson F. The prevalence of patellar tendinopathy in elite academy rugby: a clinical and imaging study. J Sci Med Sport 2014;17:173-6.
- King D, Gissane C, Brughelli M, Hume PA, Harawira J. Sport-related concussions in New Zealand: a review of 10 years of Accident Compensation Corporation moderate to severe claims and costs. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 2014;17:250-5. Gissane C. What kind of data do I have? Physiotherapy Practice and Research, 2013;34:123-5.
- Farnan D, Mahony N, Wilson F, Gissane C. A 3-month prospective study of injuries in amateur rugby and soccer. Physiotherapy Practice and Research, 2013;34:103-12.
- McKenna O, Cunningham C, Gissane C, Blake C. (2013). Management of the extrahepatic symptoms of chronic hepatitis C: feasibility of a randomized controlled trial of exercise. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 92:504-6.
- Gissane C. The P value, do you know what it means? Fysioterapeuten, 2013;13(2):28-9.
- King D, Brughelli M, Hume P, Gissane C. Concussions in amateur rugby union identified with the use of a rapid visual screening tool. J Neurol Sci. 2013;326(1-2):59-63.
- Gissane C. Extracting meaning from research – using confidence intervals Physiotherapy Practice and Research, 2013;34:47-9.