Dr Brian Hemmings
Senior Lecturer - Sport Science
Brian has over 20 years of experience in sport psychology consultancy. Working full-time in private practice since 2006, he is also currently a Research Fellow at St. Mary’s University, Twickenham.
He was the lead psychologist to the England golf team for 16 years (1997-2013) delivering high-performance strategies with European and World Championship winning teams and individuals at men’s, youth and junior level. During this time he helped develop the mental skills of the best young emerging English golfers.
Brian is the author of the CD ‘In the Zone: Simple Mental Skills to Improve Your Golf’ and three books, including ‘Mental Toughness for Golf: The Minds of Winners’. He is a regular presenter around the UK and Europe and has talked at the PGA of GB&I, PGA of Holland and PGAs of Europe Annual Conferences. In 2012 Brian released the online Golf Psychology Coaching Certificate, an approved education programme of the PGAs of GB&I, Switzerland, New Zealand and the PGAs of Europe, which is now translated to German, Spanish and South Korean. As well as hosting three successful UK golf psychology conferences, Brian regularly runs Masterclasses in Golf Psychology for psychologists and golf coaches.
Brian also has a wealth of experience in other sports, having worked with championship winning individuals and teams in professional cricket, 12 medalists in Olympic and Commonwealth Games boxing, and podium winners in single seat motor racing including Formula Ford, Formula 3, Superleague Formula, A1GP, GP2 & Formula 1. Whilst golf consultancy takes up most of his time, Brian is still actively working in professional cricket and motorsport.
Brian gained his PhD in sport psychology from the University of Southampton in 1998; and has trained and supervised many sport psychologists over the last decade. He is also trained in hypnosis and bereavement counselling. In 2010 he was awarded a Fellowship by the British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences in recognition of ‘esteemed personal achievement, skills, knowledge and service to BASES and the sport and exercise science community’.
Peer-reviewed journal articles
- Arvinen-Barrow, M., Massey, W., & Hemmings, B.(2014). Role of sport medicine professionalsin addressing psychosocial aspects of sport injury rehabilitation: Professional athletes’ views. Journal of Athletic Training,49,3,
- Hayman, R., Borkoles, E., Taylor, J., Hemmings, B. & Polman, R. (2014). From Pre-Elite to Elite: The Pathway Travelled by Adolescent Golfers. International Journal of Sports Science and Coaching, 9, 4, 959-974.
- Hemmings, B. (2014). Professionalism, Golf Coaching and a Master of Science Degree: A Commentary. International Journal of Sport Science and Coaching. 9, 4, 873-875.
- Hill, D. & Hemmings, B. (in press). A Phenomenological Exploration of Coping Reponses Associated with Choking in Sport Qualitative Research in Sport, Exercise and Health
- Pack, S.M. & Hemmings, B. (2014) The self-practice of in-training and practitioner sport psychologists: Do they practice what they preach? The Sport Psychologist, 28, 198-210
- Swann, C., Piggott, D., Crust, L., Keegan, R., & Hemmings, B. (in press) An Inductive Exploration into the Flow Experiences of European Tour Golfers. Qualitative Research in Sport, Exercise and Health
- Swann, C., Piggott, D., Crust, L., Keegan, R., & Hemmings, B. (in press). A Connecting Analysis of Flow Occurrence in European Tour Golfers. Psychology of Sport and Exercise
- Clement, D., Arvinen-Barrow, M., Hamson-Utley, J., Kamphoff, C., Zakrajsek, R., Lee, S-M., Hemmings, B., Lintunen, T., & Martin, S. B., (15-18 October, 2014) Athletes’ expectations about sport injury rehabilitation: A cross-cultural study. The Association for Applied Sport Psychology Annual Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Papers submitted for review
- Arvinen-Barrow, M., Clement, D., Hamson-Utley, J. J., Kamphoff, C., Zakrajzek, R., Lee, S-M., Lintunen, T., Hemmings, B., & Martin, S. Athletes’ expectations about sport injury rehabilitation: A cross-cultural study. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation
- Arvinen-Barrow, M., Clement, D., Hamson-Utley, J. J., Kamphoff, C., Zakrajzek, R., Lee, S-M., Lintunen, T., Hemmings, B., & Martin, S. . Athlete’s use of mental skills during sport injury rehabilitation. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation.
- Arvinen-Barrow, M., DeGrave, K., Pack, S., & Hemmings, B. Transitioning out of professional sport: Psychosocial impact of career ending injuries among UK cricket players. Psychology of Sport and Exercise